Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dale Jr.

"Dale Earnhardt Jr."  - If you are a NASCAR fan I'm sure your head has already snapped to attention at the mention of his name. Everyone's does. Anyone can strike up a conversation with the mention of the Earnhardt name. Anyone you ask, they will surely know who Jr is.


He's your new Michigan winner, finally quenching his thirst for victory after 4 years. 


If you follow me on Twitter, you know that deep down: I don't really like Jr. He's arrogant, rude, and he made my dad mad! 


My dad was a fan of his fathers, and once Jr's little 'pity pout' in front of my dad at TMS a few years back, my dad has slowly came on over to the Kahne Nation. It's better over here anyways. 


I love Jr. Nation. Do not get me wrong. There is something about the feeling of excitement when people come out of the wood works to root for Jr. He gets the most woo's, and he's won thousands of most popular driver. Jr Nation supports their driver, through thick and thin. (Any 'nation' would - I know I support my driver even as he's driving into the wall, or spinning someone out. Whatever it is, I'm behind him.)


He is your most popular driver. I won't deny it. No where NEAR the best driver. 


Jr Nation has a tendency to go a little over board. I didn't know he hadn't won in FOUR years, I knew it had been a few years (I was thinking maybe like two and a half.) but was still thinking he was a little better than that. 


I know when Jr won on Sunday that it's all I would hear about for most of the week. And it's fine, Jr's name pops up on my Twitter, and Monday was a great day for all the 'Oh I'm so hungover because I was celebrating.' 'Why isn't today a Holiday?' etc. 


Something that surprised me was when someone was announcing how many wins he has had as a driver. 17. 


I was immediately taken aback, thinking there had to be some mistake. - NASCAR's Poster Child has only won 17 races? 


I asked my followers to let me in on how many races Kahne has won. 13. 


Jr of course started 4 years before Kasey, but still. The numbers speak for themselves, I shouldn't even have to type out all that math. And I wont. 


Each driver is a "good" driver for his own reasons. Kasey is horrible at places, and awesome at others. Jr is great at Dega and Daytona Michigan and Charlotte, but yeah. Other places notsomuch. 


And now, Jr Nation rises up, cheering their man as he floats around the track with his Dew. Dewin it right. 


I do understand it. I get so emotional when talking about Kasey, or cheering him on. I get it, I do! :D 


Coming into NASCAR in 2004 (when I started watching "full time") the ONLY driver I knew of, was Dale Earnhardt Jr. I had heard soooo much about this dude, and it took him a loooong time to win a race once I started watching. I just noticed it's a lot more about the NAME than it is the PERSON. 


I think Jr has lost a lot of his heart. I think he's in this mainly for a paycheck. I watch him, and watch the other drivers, and while yes, there is something different about Jr, he just seems like he's doing racing because he is told to do it. I'm not saying he doesn't want to race, because he knew damn well what he was signing on for when he did sign up, but I'm just saying I think he has lost his heart. 


I think Jr needs to take a year off! 


Haha. 


But, congrats to all the Jr fans, and Jr. himself for winning the race. I'm glad you did. 


And I really hope to see you in Victory Lane in Sonoma and not take another 4 years okay? 


See, I can be nice sometimes :D 







No comments:

Post a Comment